Saturday, May 23, 2015

Onwards to happiness

Yesterday was terrible and I mean - that kind of day when I didn't do anything productive or anything that will push me forward towards my goal (whatever it is!).

Good thing that the MoodMaster App I've been using to help me in my condition is really helping. I have featured it here already but for everyday that I am using it, I find something that's truly helpful.




One of the things that helps me is the advice to keep a record of what I do every hour. I know it sounds tedious but it makes sense. After a day's record, you review what you do every hour. You think and decide if the hours were well spent or they simply pulled you back towards a depressive mood. I've just started recording of what I do today and I hope I can be consistent in doing this.

Another is the relaxation exercise that is also part of the App. There are three types of relaxation exercise included in the app: the focused breathing, guided imagery, and muscle relaxation. I have tried the first two.

When I applied the first relaxation which is the focused breathing before I slept because I felt that my mind was agitated (as always), I, thankfully, got to sleep right away. For this exercise, you are just asked to be more aware of your breathing - if it's like running after something, or it's shortened like you're forgetting to breathe, or something else. I did it, becoming more aware of my breathing. I noticed that my breathing last night before I slept was rather fast - like it's running after something. I thought about it and realized that I was once again, thinking too much even before I sleep.

The second guided imagery is literally making use of your imagination. You are asked to imagine of a place that you have always found very relaxing. And let the place take you away. What I like about this I was asked to go to a happy place - my favorite happy place where I found myself most relaxed. I remembered my vacation at a beach where I just let my body be surrounded by the water.

I am happy that I'm progressing towards happiness (I hope). I can say this because I find myself really finding ways to:

1. steer away from negative thoughts
2. take good care of my physical health as my self-image really affects how I feel towards myself and how I treat others


No comments:

Post a Comment