Thursday, May 8, 2014

Listen to your body

It's funny how I can know when I am actually feeling stressed. It's not the typical signs like feeling irritable or getting angry easily. I know I am stressed when there's this excruciating pain at the left side of my stomach. It feels like that part of my stomach is held tightly and then squeezed.

I first learned about it last year when I was facing my older brother and his wife who had hurt me (maybe, unintentionally) before. I felt it again when I was with my whole family, having dinner, and supposedly having fun. That restaurant was in a place where I had many traumatic experiences.

When I realized that I felt that pain more often than before, then, I did a self-check. I checked when it would occur to me. That's when I found out that, it would come visit me when I am in a stressful situation.

Today, I have confirmed (for the nth time) that it's really stress-induced because of two things that happened to me. The first event was when I faced my class and saw on their faces that they could not enjoy the play they were watching because of the poor audio quality, that pain in my stomach struck me. It was a simple problem. It was a problem beyond my control but still, I felt stressed. What I did, I just talked to myself and told myself that "It's beyond your control. Relax. It's not your fault." But you see, there's another voice that would tell me, "You could have foreseen that. You could have avoided that."

Another situation today when I felt that pain was when I was conversing with a staff who was talking about the requirements to be an early childhood education teacher. The staff was very easy to talk to actually, her voice was lovely that it would make you want to talk more, and our topic wasn't a matter of life and death. The topic of our conversation just had something to do with my future. But in the midst of our telephone conversation, I felt that stomach pain again.

It's also a frequent visitor during driving. So, what I would do is, breathe in and out in the midst of that stressful situation.

This visitor, if I don't recognize it, can evolve into an outrage. Like there was one time, when I went out from the car and shouted out this motorcycle driver because he accidentally hit the right side of the car. Just a few minutes before that incident, a traffic enforcer hailed us (me and my company) because of a traffic violation. When he got my friend's license, I did not react. I was just quiet. But you see, an hour or so before that traffic violation incident, my friend kept on raising his voice and cursing other drivers on the road. He wouldn't shout at them. He would just shout it at me, his only company in the car. I told him calmly many times to stop but he did not. So what happened next? I expressed my silent anger towards that motorcycle driver who I could have faced civilly.

So, it's very important for me and those who can barely manage stress to recognize these situations that stress us out. If we don't recognize it, it comes out in a monstrous way.

This pain is actually a blessing in disguise. It serves like an "alert" signal that warns me to slow down, relax, and breathe.

Stress is one cause of Depression. Knowing what stresses the Depressed is very important. And sometimes, to know what causes it, you just have to listen to your body.















Photo Credits:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1262332/thumbs/o-STOMACH-ACHE-facebook.jpg

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51b0af4de4b03cb960ebd366/51b0b0f8e4b0fd0e63f4a708/521e5d95e4b07ebedcb46a0d/1377730631105/listen1.jpg?format=1000w

No comments:

Post a Comment