Thursday, May 23, 2013

Press Stress

Summer is almost over. And classes are about to start. When classes start, I am quite sure that I'd be very busy that I might even forget to consciously enjoy breathing.

Being busy is something I both love and hate. I love it because it keeps my mind working, only thinking of what would seem productive and important to keep me breathing and living in this day and age. I detest it because the busy-ness sometimes puts my mind away from what truly lasts - love and time for family. 

This school year will be different in the sense that I know now that before everything starts, I should be well-equipped in terms of preparation, class meetings, consultations, committee works, etc. If I don't, stress would be my constant companion who can bring along depression with her.

Stress is something I must always consciously combat. If I don't, it could be the start of another difficult battle against self-pity, anger, and eventually depression (which I'll call D from now on). You see now I realize that I love myself so much that I won't let myself suffer again the effects of D (I can't believe I just said I love myself! Oh, this is something to celebrate) . Before when something exciting begins, I would just plunge in without really making sure that I got everything I need.

For anyone who suffers from D or who wants to avoid D, knowing your stressors is very important. It's like the old saying from The Art of War by Sun Tzu, "Know your enemy." Know everything about what causes your stress - it could be work-related, family, lover, money. So you can deal with them, take control of them before they control you.

Now, let me go back to dealing with my possible stressors - lessons, students, expectations, evaluations,  ... where do I begin? Oh... list what I can do now before the school year starts and do what I can do now. So help me God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment