Saturday, April 20, 2013

Keepin' the high

I should have written about the books I have read days ago. But I still haven't. I've been having a laid back life here in my home province and the books I have told you that I'd write about are in Manila. My apology.

Anyway, for the past few days, I have also been avoiding writing. There's something about writing that leads me to a ruminative mode that I tend to overdo it. I have realized that for the first few weeks of summer, I have been letting my over thinking ruin my possibly happy summer days. You see, I wouldn't want to fill this blog site with so much sadness. I realized that thinking and writing too much about sadness only feed the already sad part of my brain. 

So, I'll just share what I've been consciously doing to keep that serotonin level in my brain high.

1 Managing my sleep. I've been drinking milk before I sleep and avoiding taking a nap in the afternoon  so I get to fall asleep easily during the night. Managing my sleep also means getting my body moving at least 30 minutes in a day. I bike or brisk walk in the late afternoon.

2 Getting some sunlight. Oh yes, I know many of us are avoiding the sun. I learned that the heat we get from the sun is actually an antidepressant. I don't just lie under the sun. I do gardening while I'm getting that Vitamin D from Mr. Sun! Gardening actually has a therapeutic effect. It calms my  nerves that makes me enjoy the greenery of my Mom's garden.

3 Taking fish oil and Vitamin C every night. I started doing this after learning from the book that I'm reading that fish oil has EPA and DHA (some vitamins for the brain) that are actually antidepressants!

These are just some of the things that I started doing based on the book that I read. Actually, there are other suggestions. But I don't take them all at the same time. I take baby steps. I wanna be realistic and consistent. So, that would mean taking each step slowly but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment