Sunday, January 25, 2015

Simpler

I remember vaguely how life seemed simpler in the late 20th century until the early 21st century.

One phone. One camera shared by the family.  One personal computer also shared by the family.

These small gadgets' batteries or power also last for almost 48 hours. If you did not charge for a day, the phone would survive for another day (assuming you use it more for texting and not calling). Now, the batteries don't last for 24 hours that "power banks" have been introduced. This power bank is cube like or even a rectangle in shape that one can carry in her bag as a reserve when the phones' battery die. The phones are just connected to this which does not need any electric plug (assuming the power bank is fully charged). Really, how much more power do we need?

This reality simply echoes this famous saying that when we have more, we tend to need and want more. When we have a lot of gadgets, we also need more battery chargers, more power, and more of I don't know what else.

I myself, am guilty of this. I have three phones (2 smart phones and 1 super basic phone), one iPad, one laptop, and an e-book reader. Of course, all these need batteries.

In the beginning, I felt okay with it. But then I started feeling confused which gadget I need for a specific day or which phone number I should be giving to a new acquaintance. I started feeling uncomfortable which also stressed me out. Now, I don't know what to do with my three phones. The iPad, the laptop, and e-book readers are totally helpful for my profession - education. I use the iPad for my PowerPoint Presentation aided lectures; while the laptop is for grade computation, book writing, lecture presentation preparation; and the e-book reader I use during my long travels or long breaks.

Though there has been a proliferation of choices, living a simpler life is still possible. It takes a reflective thinker to realize what s/he only needs to survive and thrive. One cannot be easily swayed by what media dictates to be needed and wanted. One needs time to pause, think, and reflect. We can't just "go, go, go!" If we do not, we get confused. We get overwhelmed. We do not get to do anything important at all.

I am trying very hard to do this. Since, I have more time to think and reflect, I am now trying to simplify my life. I am using just one phone (and wishing I could just sell my other two phones). And before I am tempted to buy anything at all, I reflect if I can really live without it. There are thousand ways to simplify one's life. And I am excited to learn more about these ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment